Saturday, February 9, 2008

Kiss my exaggerated butt.

Wow. I never really thought I'd use my blog as a place to rant...and then this happened.

My mom came down to visit today, and one of the places we stopped was Marshall's in search of a jacket suitable for DC weather ( no real need for my North Face down here!!). I went to the coat section and I noticed a woman trying on a really nice trench with a fuller cut. I looked for the same one on the racks, but apparently she had the only one. No problem, and I went to find my mom.

Ten minutes later I went back to the coat section and the jacket was back on the rack. I put it on, liked it but decided it wasn't as functional as I would like and started to undo the tie. The same woman who tried it on comes over. I figured she was coming back for the coat so I just smiled and continued to undo the buttons to give it to her. She walks up to me, a little too close for comfort, and says in broken English "Oh....that looks very nice on you." "Thanks" I say, taking it off "You can take it" she then goes "Oh...no no...yes it looks very nice but maybe it exaggerates your big butt."

!!!!!!!!!!!WHAAAAT??!?!?!?!? Ok, I know I have a booty, but it's a SIZE 2 booty for goodness sake. I'm small. Small enough that I had to wait for this beebee to put the coat back on the rack because it was the only small-sized jacket left in the whole lot. I looked at her in disbelief, dropped the coat on a display next to me and walked away before I took her size 2 booty (or lack thereof) down. I had to leave the store completely five minutes later when I saw her in line at the checkout with the coat in hand!

It's not so much that I felt insulted that she commented on my "big butt"; it's the fact she commented at all. I can't count the number of times I have seen women try on completely unflattering clothes at stores but I don't give my opinion. We're adults-- if an stranger is going to make a fashion blunder let them.

And the cherry on the top is I still have no jacket.

No comments: